Sunday, February 27, 2011 Woonsocket, Rhode Island

General Alarm (6) For Woonsocket's "Seville Dye"

On Sunday afternoon shortly before one multiple calls began to be received at Woonsocket fire control reported a fire at the former "Seville Dye Company" at 229 1st Avenue in the cities fairmount section. Engine One reported a heavy smoke condition while en route minutes later Engine Three arrived and transmitted a second alarm reporting a large mill building fully involved. In early February a large 37,500 square foot section of the complex collapsed due to a heavy snow load on the roof, due to this fact and fire conditions in the posted building members setup for defensive operations. The closest firehouse which housed engine six is located about four blocks from the fire at Fairmount Street & 5th Avenue however was closed in 2009, Unfortunately the first due ladder company remained parked at Station One having been shut down on January 30, 2011 due to budget cuts. As heavy fire conditions took hold of the river side of the complex crews flowed water from Tower Ladder Two, Valley Falls Truck One & Smithfield Ladder One along with numerous deck guns which protected the larger two story section from becoming involved. Oakland-Mapleville & Nasonville crews arrived and began drafting from the Blackstone River to maintain a water supply for the crews with large stream devices on side four. Due to the heavy smoke and potential for hazardous materials burning inside the vacant manufacturing facility several area homes were evacuated. the red cross responded to aid the displaced. Firefighters from Bellingham, Burrilliville, Millville, North Smithfield, Smithfield, Uxbridge, Blackstone, Central Falls, Cumberland & Lincoln worked for hours to contain the fire to the building of origin. The incident commander placed the fire under control at 05:56 that evening however crews remained on scene throughout the following week dousing hot spots. No injuries were reported in the event, The providence canteen responded to provide rehab and refreshments to the members and displaced residents. The cause of the fire is under investigation by the Woonsocket & State Fire Marshals but is being called suspicious due to the fact the building has been vacant for years. There was also a order in effect to have the building demolished after the earlier roof collapse. Ladder One was staffed by off duty firefighters and responding to the fire hours later to setup a ladder pipe to work pockets of remaining fire.

Powered by SmugMug Owner Log In